Established in 1952 and located in L’Aquila, administrative centre of the Abruzzo Region, the University is a public teaching and research institution offering a full range of academic programmes including biotechnologies, sciences, economics, engineering, education, humanities, medicine, psychology, and sport sciences. With 7 departments, the University of L’Aquila offers its over 18,000 enrolled students 64 degree courses (divided between first and second level degrees), 8 research doctorate programmes, specialisation schools, specializing-master courses and vocational courses. Many members of its distinguished faculty of about 600 professors and researchers have received international recognition and are considered leaders in their fields of research.
These are the 7 departments in which the university is divided into:
- Department of Biotechnological and Applied Clinical Sciences
- Department of Industrial and Information Engineering and Economics
- Department of Human Studies
- Department of Civil, Construction-Architectural and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Physical and Chemical Sciences
- Department of Information Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics
- Department of Life, Health and Environmental Sciences
The Medical library is located on the ground floor of Blocco 11 building, in the university complex in Coppito. It supports teaching and research in disciplines related to the Department of Life, Health and Environmental Sciences and the Department of Biotechnological and Applied Clinical Sciences, also providing access to the electronic full-text resources subscribed by the Library System. In 2007 the library was named in memory of Carlo Urbani.