Fudan, formerly romanized as Fuh Tan, was initially known as Fudan Public School in 1905. The two Chinese characters Fu and Dan, literally meaning “(heavenly light shines) day after day”, were chosen by Father Ma Xiangbo S.J., from the Confucian ClassicShangshu Dazhuan“Itinerant as the twilight, sun glows and moon luminesces”.In 1911 during the Xinhai Revolution the college was taken up as the headquarters of the Guangfu Army and closed down for almost one year. The university motto comes from Analects Book 19.6 , which means “to learn extensively and adhere to aspirations, to inquire earnestly and reflect with self application”.
In 1917, Fudan Public School became a private university named the Private Fudan University, and also had a middle school and university-preparatory school. In 1929, Fudan adjusted its departments, expanded to include the Journalism Department, Municipals Department, Law Department and Education Department, totalling 17 departments devoted to Arts, Science, Law and Business.
After the Japanese invasion of China in 1937, Fudan moved with the Kuomintang government to the inland city of Beibei, Chongqing, the wartime Chinese capital. On December 25, 1941, the First Meeting of Fifth Conference of the Highest Executive Authority of the National Government of the Republic of China voted to change Fudan University to a public university with Wu Nanxuan as its president. Fudan University then became National Fudan University. After the end of World War II, it moved back to Shanghai.
After the founding of the People’s Republic of China, Fudan lost its “National” appellation and became Fudan University to reflect the fact that all universities under the new socialist state would be public. Fudan was the first university to be adjusted by the new government in 1952 and modelled on Soviet education. The original departments were changed, and Arts and Science departments from at least ten other universities in eastern China were added.
In the 1970s, after the Cultural Revolution, the university was changed to a modern, comprehensive-style university.Fudan University and Shanghai Medical University were merged on April 27, 2000.
Fudan University comprises 17 full-time schools, 69 departments, 73 bachelor’s degree programs, 22 disciplines and 134 sub-disciplines authorized to confer Ph.D. degrees, 201 master’s degree programs, 6 professional degree programs, 7 key social science research centers of Ministry of Education P.R.C, 9 national basic science research and training institutes and 25 post-doctoral research stations. It has 40 national key disciplines granted by the Ministry of Education, nationally third. At present, it has 77 research institutes, 112 cross-disciplinary research institutes and 5 national key laboratories. See a list of schools and departments at Fudan.
Fudan University enrolls over 45,000, including full-time students and students in continuing education and online education. Additionally, there are nearly 1,760 students from overseas, ranking second nationally.
Fudan University has a high-level research faculty of over 2,600 full-time teachers and researchers, including 1,350 professors and associate professors, 30 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Engineering, nearly 660 doctoral supervisors, 26 special professors and 2 lecture professors of “Cheungkong Scholars Program”, 3 distinguished professors and 10 special professors of Fudan University, 6 principal scientists of Project 973 and 25 “Young Experts with Prominent Contributions to the Country”.
Fudan University has 10 teaching hospitals, such as Zhongshan Hospital and Huashan Hospital, integrating medical service, medicine education and research.
Fudan University Library was formally established in 1922, previously known as the Reading Room of Wu Wu (1918). Today it comprises the Liberal Arts Library, the Science Library and the Medical Library, with a total floor of 29,000 square meters.
By the end of 2004, the Library’s collection composed of more than 4.4588 million copies and articles, including books, journals, bound volumes of newspapers, and audio-visual recordings. Of all these 400,000 are thread-bound books of Chinese classics (including 7,000 rare copies), 100,000 are books published during the reign of the Republic of China, and 1.392 million are foreign books. Additionally, there are 32,000 Chinese and foreign journals and periodicals. Every year 100,000 new books will be added to enlarge the collection. The library subscribes to around 7,000 printed journals.
The library has access to 24,000 full-text e-journals and over 150 CD and online databases. It has eight open stacks, two general reading rooms and 19 reading rooms with specialized functions, totaling 2,400 seats. The library is open for 112 hours weekly and serves more than 7,000 visiting readers daily.
The Fudan University Library is divided into the China Academic Humanities and Social Sciences Library (CAHSL), the National Foreign Textbook Center for East China (sponsored by the Ministry of Education), the Documentation and Information Center for Liberal Arts, and the Central Stacks for Foreign Books of Liberal Arts. Additionally, the library has the Shanghai Electronic Documents Searching Center for Graduates, the CD Searching Center Shared by the Universities in Northeast Shanghai, and the General Search Station for Updated Science and Technology Information Authorized by the Ministry Of Education, the Search Station for Updated Science and Technology Information Authorized by the Shanghai Science and Technology Committee. The Library edits and publishes two journals: China Index and Information Services of the Higher Education Institutions in Shanghai.
Contact for Admission & More Details
Mr. Arun Bapna +919001099110 (Also on WhatsApp, IMO & Viber)