MBBS students from across the state will protest on Wednesday opposing to the proposed National Exit Test (NEXT). The students will be joined by the Indian Medical Association (IMA).
NEXT is part of the proposal mooted by the Union Health Ministry as part of the amendments to be introduced in the Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Act. According to the proposal, students are mandated to clear NEXT to obtain license to practice.
Students believe that taking an entrance exam in addition to their MBBS exams would be taxing. Dr Manoop Kumaraswamy, member, Young Doctors’ Association, IMA said, “What is the necessity for an exam when we are already preparing for NEET PG? Students will have to clear yet another exam. Instead, the government can just refine the existing system. Besides, we are told that even Ayush doctors clearing this exam will be granted permission to prescribe allopathy medicines after a bridge course.”
Dr Rajashekara Bellary, president, IMA Karnataka said, “Those who have cleared MBBS are expected to take the exam. What is the use of having studied the course for five-and-a-half years then? It is an unnecessary burden on students. Students will also lose faith in the system of study then.”
In a memorandum, the students have said, “The examinations are conducted by universities which are recognised by University Grants Commission and MBBS examination is therefore rightfully a qualifying examination for the degree of Modern Medicine. Therefore, introducing NEXT as a qualifying examination is unnecessary and makes the university examination redundant.”
They also say that converting a competitive examination into both a qualifying examination and competitive examination for post graduation is not in the students’ interest as the structure and objective of a qualifying examination for admission to post graduation is different from a qualifying examination that is meant for assessing the minimum qualification required to receive the degree.
Source: Deccan Herald
- Click Here to Like/Join/Share with Friends
- Click Here for MBBS Abroad (If you don’t get admission in India) #MBBSAbroad, #MBBSAdmissionAbroad, #BestCountryforMBBSAbroad, #LowestPackageforMBBSAbroad
- Click Here for MBBS from Bangladesh (Weather, Culture, Syllabus, Language similar to India, Best Screening Test Result) #MBBSinBangladesh, #MBBSfromBangladesh, #BestCountryforMBBSAbroad, #LowestPackageforMBBSAbroad
- Click Here for MBBS from China (World’s Best Infrastructure, Low Cost of Education, Big Hospitals lead to better clinical exposure) #MBBSinChina, #MBBSfromChina, #BestCountryforMBBSAbroad, #LowestPackageforMBBSAbroad
- Click Here to Register for FREE Counseling (Based on 12th Passing Year, %age & Budget)