The University of Utah School of Medicine is located on the upper campus of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was founded in 1905 and is currently the only allopathic medical school in the state of Utah.
The school began in 1905 when the Biology department offered a two-year medical course. The founding dean was Dr. Ralph Vary Chamberlin. In 1912, the medical program was established as a separate two-year medical school and became a member of both the Association of American Medical Colleges and the American Medical Association. For the next 30 years, it continued as a two-year program; students were required to complete their final two years of training at other medical schools. The board of regents approved a four-year medical school in 1942.
In the 1950s and 1960s, the University Of Utah School Of Medicine emerged as a prominent center for bio-medical research, thanks to the work of pioneering physicians and scientists such as Maxwell Wintrobe, Louis Goodman, Homer R. Warner, and Willem Kolff. To this day, the school maintains a reputation for strong scientific investigation, especially in fields such as genetics and bio-medical informatics.
Medical education expanded significantly in 1977, when the University of Utah formed a partnership with Primary Children’s Hospital, thus providing the medical school with a dedicated facility for teaching and research in pediatrics. The medical center has expanded even more in recent years, with the creation of the Huntsman Cancer Institute in 1995 and the expansion of the Moran Eye Center in 2006. Such developments have provided even greater learning opportunities for medical students, residents, and fellows at the school.
In 2007, Mario Capecchi, distinguished professor of human genetics and biology, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his method of introducing homologous recombination in mice by way of embryonic stem cells.