The Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine is the largest and oldest continuously operating medical school in Virginia. The school traces its beginnings to the 1838 opening of the medical department of Hampden–Sydney College, which in 1854 became an independent institution known as the Medical College of Virginia. In 1968, MCV joined with the Richmond Professional Institute to form Virginia Commonwealth University. The School of Medicine is one of five schools within the VCU Medical Center.
Located on VCU’s MCV Campus in Richmond, Virginia, the medical school offers dozens of master’s, doctoral and interdisciplinary programs in addition to the M.D. degree, postdoctoral research and residency training opportunities. Third- and fourth-year School of Medicine students may elect to train at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Northern Virginia, and the Virginia Biotechnology Research Park in Richmond gives faculty and students an incubator to grow bioscience companies and research programs.
With more than 300 basic science investigators, the School of Medicine accounts for more than half of VCU’s sponsored research awards and more than 85 percent of the university’s National Institutes of Health funding.
The medical school provides educational expertise and clinical services to the patients of the VCU Medical Center. The medical center offers comprehensive contemporary medical services including the region’s Level 1 Trauma Center, a Level 3 Neonatal Intensive-Care Unit, a translational research center, a comprehensive organ transplantation center, a research and rehabilitation center, a children’s mental health facility, a burn care center, with a teaching hospital with 779 beds and 650 physicians. Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center is one of 35 designated Ebola centers. VCU faculty staff the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center and VCU faculty serve as national Veterans Administration directors for rehabilitation medicine, radiation oncology, primary care and residency education.
Educational programs include medical undergraduate, graduate, masters and PhD pathways. Additionally, a Premedical Graduate Certificate Program delivers a one-year, intensive graduate-level program for students to enhance their qualifications for admission into professional school, including medical, dental and veterinary school.
The Egyptian Building, a National Historic Landmark, is an Egyptian Revival style building completed in 1845. It was the first permanent home of the Medical Department of Hampden–Sydney College which became the VCU School of Medicine. The building has a large lecture hall, smaller classroom and simulation facilities, and an academic unit.