Case Western Reserve University (also known as Case Western Reserve, Case Western, Case, and CWRU) is a private doctorate-granting university in Cleveland, Ohio. Founded in 1826, Western Reserve University (named by its location inside the Connecticut Western Reserve) and Case Institute of Technology (established by the endowment of Leonard Case, Jr. in 1881) formally federated in 1967. Time magazine described the merger as the creation of “Cleveland’s Big-Leaguer” university.
Seventeen Nobel laureates have been affiliated with Case Western Reserve. In U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 rankings, Case Western Reserve was ranked 37th among national universities and 146th among global universities. In 2016, the inaugural edition of The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education (WSJ/THE) ranked Case Western Reserve as 32nd among all universities and 29th among private institutions.
The campus is approximately 5 miles (8 km) east of Downtown Cleveland in the neighborhood known as University Circle, an area encompassing 550 acres (220 ha) containing what has been called the greatest concentration of educational, medical, and cultural institutions within one square mile of the United States.
Case Western Reserve is particularly well known for its medical school, business school, dental school, law school, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing (named for former U.S. Representative Frances P. Bolton), Department of Biomedical Engineering and its biomedical teaching and research capabilities. Case Western Reserve is a member of the Association of American Universities.
Case Western Reserve University was created in 1967, when Western Reserve University (formerly Western Reserve College) and Case Institute of Technology (formerly Case School of Applied Science), institutions that had been neighbors for 81 years, formally federated.
In 1852, the Medical School became the second school in the United States to graduate a woman, Nancy Talbot Clarke. Five more women graduated over the next four years, including Emily Blackwell, giving Western Reserve the distinction of graduating six of the first eight female physicians in the United States.
In 1877, Leonard Case Jr. began laying the groundwork for the Case School of Applied Science by secretly donating valuable pieces of Cleveland real estate to a trust. He asked his confidential advisor, Henry Gilbert Abbey, to administer the trust and to keep it secret until after his death. The Case School of Applied Science was issued a charter by the state of Ohio in 1882, four months after Case’s death.
For the first four years of the school’s existence, it was located in the Case family’s home on Rockwell Street in downtown Cleveland. Classes were held in the family house, while the chemistry and physics laboratories were on the second floor of the barn.
Amasa Stone’s gift to relocate Western Reserve College to Cleveland also included a provision for the purchase of land in the University Circle area, adjacent to Western Reserve University, for the Case School of Applied Science. The school moved to University Circle in 1885.
During World War II, Case School of Applied Science was one of 131 colleges and universities nationally that took part in the V-12 Navy College Training Program which offered students a path to a Navy commission.
Two main transportation options are available for students: For on- and near-campus transportation, Case Western Reserve has a fleet of shuttle buses known as Greenies. Case also offers safe transport around campus through the Safe Ride program between 7pm and 3am. For longer trips, students may use the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority(RTA) bus and rail system. Each undergraduate student receives an unlimited RTA pass, which is paid for via a mandatory $25 fee per semester. The Healthline bus system connects the campus to downtown Cleveland with buses coming roughly every 12 minutes.
The university is approximately 5 miles (8 km) east of downtown Cleveland, adjacent to the historic Wade Park District in University Circle, a park-like city neighborhood and commercial center, home to numerous educational, medical, and other cultural institutions. Case Western Reserve has a number of programs taught in conjunction with nearby institutions, including the Cleveland Institute of Music, the Cleveland Institute of Art, the Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center, the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the Western Reserve Historical Society, Cleveland Botanical Garden, and the Cleveland Play House.
The Kent H. Smith Quadrangle (known to students as the Main Quad) is located south of Euclid between Adelbert Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. All of the engineering buildings are located on this quad in addition to all of the natural science buildings.