Petrozavodsk State University (PetrSU) is a classical university in Petrozavodsk, Republic of Karelia, Russian Federation. It was founded in 1940 as the Karelian-Finnish University and was renamed in 1956. The rector of Petrozavodsk State University is Prof. Anatoly V. Voronin.
The university includes 10 faculties, 6 educational institutes, 79 departments, 84 laboratories, a number of development and project departments, 27 innovative departments, 28 small enterprises, 2 techno parks, a publishing house, a scientific library (one of the largest in northern European Russia, with more than 1,179,042 books), a botanical garden, and the “Onego” swimming pool. The faculties of PetrSU are located in 13 separate buildings scattered throughout the city.
PetrSU faculty numbers about 890 (105 doctors of science, 502 candidates of science, 66 professors, and 329 associate professors). More than 11,670 undergraduate and postgraduate students currently study at PetrSU.
PetrSU holds the top spot among Russian universities in the criteria of “internationalization” and the third spot in the promotion of the employment of its students and graduates. PetrSU has 92 international agreements with foreign universities, research organizations, and science-and-production companies in 30 countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway, France, Germany, Portugal, the UK, the USA, Canada, Belgium, the Republic of Korea, the Commonwealth of Independent States, and the Baltic states, among others). Various PetrSU programs have been in heavy demand from international students including short-term programs taught in English, semester-long programs, and exchange programs with partner universities taught in both Russian and English. More than 200 international students (mostly from Northern and Eastern Europe, the UK, the USA, and China) study at PetrSU annually. More than 250 students and staff of PetrSU visit foreign universities annually for reasons such as exchange programs, research, Erasmus Mundus internships, FIRST, and CIMO, among others. PetrSU carries out about 30 international projects annually with the help of funding from the EU, EBRD, USAID, CRDF, IREX, DAAD, the Nordic Council of Ministers, and CIMO, among others.
PetrSU prepares enrollees for university entrance. Students have the opportunity to obtain bachelor’s, master’s, and specialist’s degrees in 13 fields of science and 63 licensed specialties. There is a wide range of areas for the preparation of doctoral theses and the training and retraining of specialists. At present there are 4 Dissertation Councils at the university.
PetrSU is ranked highly among large research centers in many fields including programming, information technology, plasma research, microelectronics, problems of timber, and building. Over 60 international, all-Russian, and regional conferences and seminars are held at PetrSU every year, and dozens of scientific monographs, textbooks, and manuals are published by its publishing house.
There are 16 departments offering a wide range of disciplines. The teaching and research activities of PetrSU are widely based, their focus being on social sciences, humanities, and polytechnic science.
Academic degrees and diplomas awarded: Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Arts, Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Science.
- Language of instruction: Russian.
- Language courses offered: Russian, English, Finnish, German, and French.
In April 24, 1940 the congress of the Communist Party KFSSR was held, where the leader of Karelo-Finnish SSR G.N. Kupriyanov showed his report. It claimed that it’s needed to pay special attention to the development of higher education in the region in order to improve the economic and cultural life and science of the country. In June 2, 1940 a decree of the Central Committee of the Communist Party and the Council of People’s Commissars of the Karelo-Finnish SSR “About opening of the Karelian-Finnish State University” was published. The leadership of the USSR supported this decision, and the Council of People’s Commissars of the USSR adopted a resolution № 1209 about the opening of the Karelian-Finnish State University (based on the Karelian State Pedagogical Institute) in June 10, 1940. The university was called KFGU in abbreviated form, consisted of 4 faculties: historical and philological, physical and mathematical, biological, geographical and hydrogeological. The goal of university was preparing a large number of specialists for the national economy and the development of scientific research.
etrSU was one of the first universities that implemented an integrated program of the USSR Ministry of Higher Education called “ICS-university”. To improve the work of the university, the university researchers developed a number of software systems including “Entrant”, “Number of students”, “Session”, “Current control”, “Social and political practice,” “Graduate student,” “Control of decision implementation”, and “Human Resources Staff”.
MBBS Exit Exam/MCI Screening Test/NEXT/FMGE, NEET.PG, USMLE, PLAB
Call/Whatsapp Mr. Arun Bapna +91 90010 99110 for personalize counseling based on Entrance Exam Score, 12th Percentage, 12th Passing Year and Budget