The Ohio State University College of Medicine (formerly known as The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health) is the medical school at The Ohio State University and is located in Columbus, Ohio. The college is nationally recognized as a top institution in both education and research, as reflected by rankings in U.S. News & World Report. In 2009, its primary teaching hospital (Ohio State University Hospital) was ranked as one of the best hospitals in the U.S. in 10 different specialties; it was chosen to be among the 21 hospitals named to U.S. News & World Report’s select honor roll of U.S. hospitals.
The OSU College of Medicine can trace its roots as far back as March 3, 1834 with the founding of the Willoughby University of Lake Erie in Willoughby, Ohio. Dr. Westel Willoughby (1789–1844), the school’s namesake and first president, oversaw the operation of the school until 1843, when a disagreement among the faculty led to their resignation from the school.
In 1847 the disgruntled faculty members started the Willoughby Medical College of Columbus in Columbus, Ohio on the corner of High Street and Gay Street in half of the Clay Club house. Almost immediately upon opening, the school was contacted by Lyne Starling, a wealthy local business owner, who offered $30,000 to construct a new hospital and school complex on State and Sixth Street in Columbus. The concept of a hospital affiliated with a medical school, though commonplace now, was groundbreaking at the time.
The Ohio State University College of Medicine Class of 1923
The construction of the Starling Medical College, as the school became known, was begun in 1848 but was not completed until 1887. Dr. Starling Loving was a trustee, professor, and dean at the Starling Medical College. Dr. Loving facilitated the arrival of the Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis to the area to run the hospital, which was named St. Francis Hospital in 1865.
In 1875, during elections for a new chairman of the board, James Fairchild Baldwin and several faculty members left the school and in 1876 founded another medical school, the Columbus Medical College. In 1882, the Columbus Medical College began construction on a new hospital after a $10,000 gift from Dr. W.B. Hawkes. This hospital was called the Hawkes Hospital of Mt. Carmel and was operated by the Sisters of the Holy Cross.
Admission to The Ohio State University College of Medicine is highly selective. For the Class of 2017, OSU received 5,651 applications and interviewed 783 applicants for a class of 188 medical students. The matriculating class had an average GPA of 3.70 and an average MCAT score of 34.