University at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences also known as Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences is a medical school in the city of Buffalo, New York. Founded in 1846, it is one of the oldest medical schools in the U.S. It is the only medical school in Buffalo and is part of the SUNY system through the State University of New York at Buffalo.
The school’s philosophy is based on the advancement of health and wellness across the life span for the people of New York and the world through the education of tomorrow’s leaders in health care and biomedical sciences, innovative research and outstanding clinical care. It offers degrees in various field such as Biomedical Sciences undergraduate majors, Biotechnical and Clinical, Laboratory Sciences, Master’s programs in Biomedical Sciences, PhD programs in Biomedical Sciences, MD program, Graduate Medical Education residency program, Continuing Medical Education, Postdoctoral programs, as well as Dual-degree programs.
The school was established by U.S. President Millard Fillmore in 1846. Buffalo was a boomtown on the Erie Canal and the gateway to the West. Leading citizens — primarily physicians and lawyers — proposed that an institution of higher learning be established, which led to the founding of the private, nonsectarian University of Buffalo. The Medical School, or Medical Department, as it was called, was the first decanal unit within the university, and 40 years passed before other departments were added. Medical classes began February 24, 1847, with an enrollment of 66 students. The medical school’s first permanent location was next to Buffalo General Hospital in downtown Buffalo. In 1893, the school relocated to High Street in the city, where it remained until 1953, when it moved to its current location on the university’s South Campus.
In 1962, University of Buffalo merged with the State University of New York (SUNY) system. The Medical School then became the School of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo.
Throughout its history, the university has not owned or operated a teaching hospital, but instead has instructed students in affiliated hospitals throughout the city. Today’s network of teaching affiliations was formalized in 1983 as the Graduate Medical Dental Education Consortium of Buffalo. It offers students a wide range of clinical experiences and training opportunities, and has served as a national model for graduate medical education.
In 2015, the school’s name was changed to Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo in response to a $30 million donation by the Jacobs family. The Jacobs family includes Jeremy Jacobs, the owner of the Boston Bruins. Before that, in 1987, the school’s name was changed to the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences in recognition of the basic sciences underpinning medical knowledge. Today, the school enrolls 140 medical students each year, 110 doctoral students, 28 MD/PhD students, 65 master’s students and 445 undergraduates.
A new campus is planned and being designed by HOK. Presently the school is located in the University at Buffalo’s south campus, however the school is set to move to the downtown Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus / University at Buffalo’s downtown campus in the Spring of 2018.
At the start of the 21st century, our school’s clinical and basic-science strengths are evident in cardiovascular and neurologic disorders, ion-channel physiology and biophysics, retinal and cardiac electrophysiology, cellular and molecular signaling, computational biophysics and exercise physiology. Our Center for Single Molecule Biophysics and the Witebsky Center for Microbial Pathogenesis and Immunology enjoy national reputations.