The Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine is a private, non-profit medical school for osteopathic medicine located in Indianapolis, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is one of the colleges at Marian University, and the first osteopathic medical school to open at a Roman Catholic university.
Founded in 2010, the college currently holds provisional accreditation status with the American Osteopathic Association’s Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA), which allows the college to recruit students and offer instruction. Graduates of the college will receive a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.).
The college shares a 140,000-square-foot building, called the Michael A. Evans Center for Health Sciences, with the Marian University School of Nursing, which is located on the southeast region of campus.
On the feast of the Epiphany, 1851, 24-year-old Sr. Theresa Hackelmeier arrived at a log cabin in Oldenburg, Indiana, having ignored the social conventions of her day in order to travel alone from her convent home in Vienna, Austria, when her companion turned back. In response to the request of Fr. Francis Joseph Rudolf of Vincennes, she had come to found an American religious congregation at Oldenburg that would teach the German-speaking children of southeastern Indiana.
In 1937, the college moved to Indianapolis under the direction of Mother M. Clarissa Dillhoff, after securing a state charter and purchasing the Riverdale estate in 1936. Allison Mansion became the new location of Marian College. The building housed the library, administrative offices, classrooms, and sleeping quarters for the Sisters with a full time enrollment of 24 students.
On July 1, 2009, Marian College became Marian University. Over the past several years, the college grew and progressed through expansions of the academic curriculum; enhancing the faith dimension on campus; creating a more vibrant campus life, with the addition of a football team and marching band; and adding and renovating buildings. The new name better reflects what the institution is becoming: a great Catholic university.
Marian University opened its College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2010, with funding by a $48 million donation from Michael Evans, the CEO of Indianapolis-based AIT Laboratories. The college opened as the second medical school in the state of Indiana. The inaugural class of 162 students began courses in August 2013.