The State University of New York Upstate Medical University is a SUNY health sciences university located primarily in the University Hill district of Syracuse, New York. SUNY Upstate is an upper-division transfer and graduate college with degree programs within the College of Medicine, College of Nursing, College of Health Professions, and the College of Graduate Studies. Its Syracuse campus includes Upstate University Hospital.
In addition to affiliations with Binghamton Hospital and 22 other hospitals throughout central New York, where much of the core clinical teaching takes place, Upstate has numerous partnerships, including a joint Ph.D. Program in Biomedical Engineering with Syracuse University; science enrichment programs for local youth in tandem with the SC Hope Clinic; and SUNY-ESF.
It directly generates 8,195 jobs, making it Central New York’s largest employer.
The present-day university’s earliest predecessor was Geneva Medical College founded 1834 as part of Geneva College, today known as Hobart and William Smith Colleges. The new medical college was located in Geneva, New York, and became the first college to grant a full M.D. to a woman, Elizabeth Blackwell, in 1849. In 1871 the college was disbanded and its assets donated to the recently founded Syracuse University, which subsequently founded a medical college.
In 1950 Syracuse University sold the college to the State University of New York (SUNY), where it remains today. After carrying the names “SUNY Upstate Medical Center” (initially) and “SUNY Health Science Center at Syracuse” (1986), the institution was renamed to its present nomenclature in 1999.
A clinical campus in Binghamton, New York, was established in 1979.
A plaque in the lobby of Weiskotten Hall aptly describes one of the institution’s driving philosophies: “Dedicated to all those of scientific mind and investigative spirit who purpose to serve humanity.”
The university’s main campus is located in downtown Syracuse, New York flanking Interstate 81. It includes Upstate University Hospital, the Institute for Human Performance, Setnor Academic Building, Central New York Gamma Knife Center, Jacobsen Hall, Regional Oncology Center, Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital, Weiskotten Hall, the Health Sciences Library, Silverman Hall and Clark Tower dormitory for 170 students.
A clinical campus in Binghamton, New York was established in 1979. Medical students spend their first two years of medical school in Syracuse, New York and then approximately a quarter of the class completes their training in Binghamton.