The University of is the main university of the city of Ferrara in the Emilia-Romagna region of northern Italy. In the years prior to the First World War the University of Ferrara, with more than 500 students, was the best attended of the free universities in Italy. Today there are approximately 16,000 students enrolled at the University of Ferrara with nearly 400 degrees granted each year. The teaching staff number 600, including 288 researchers. It is organized into 12 Departments.
The University of Ferrara was founded on March 4, 1391 by Marquis Alberto V D’Este with the permission of Pope Boniface IX. The Studium Generale was inaugurated on St. Luke’s Day (October 18) of that year with courses in law, arts and theology. After the unification of Italy, Ferrara University became a free university with faculties of Law and Mathematics, a three-year course in Medicine (reduced to two years in 1863-64), as well as Schools of Veterinary Medicine (abolished in 1876), Pharmacy, and for public Notaries.
After World War II, it started to be state-supported and this allowed the opening of many faculties and research departments.
These are the 8 faculties which the university is divided into:
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine and Surgery
- Faculty of Pharmacy