The University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville is a four-year medical school located at the heart of Greenville Health System, the region’s largest care provider, and backed by two decades of partnership in providing comprehensive medical education to students from the University of South Carolina, the state’s largest public university.
USC, founded in 1801 in Columbia, SC, currently has a research flagship university in Columbia, four-year campus locations in Aiken, Beaufort and Spartanburg, and two-year campus locations in Lancaster, Sumter, Salkehatchie (Allendale and Walterboro) and Union (Union and Laurens). Total annual student enrollment at the University is approximately 44,500. The Columbia campus has more than 324 degree programs through its 15 degree-granting colleges and schools. Its faculty generated $212 million in funding for research, outreach, and training programs in fiscal year 2010.
GHS, founded as a city hospital in 1912, is a public not-for-profit academic health system committed to clinical healthcare delivery, workforce education and development and clinical research. Over the years, GHS has progressed from a standalone hospital to an integrated delivery system with academic teaching and research programs. As a public hospital with five campuses, 1,200 beds and nearly 600 employed physicians, GHS provides comprehensive health care for the 10-county upstate region of South Carolina and beyond. As both the safety net hospital and the major provider of specialty services, GHS is the predominant healthcare resource in the region. Currently, GHS has a Level I Trauma Center and Level III neonatal ICU designation. It is the largest provider of cardiovascular and obstetrical services and the only provider of children’s services in the region. GHS has a rich academic history; currently there are 177 residents and fellows in 11 ACGME-accredited postgraduate residencies and fellowships and more than 550 clinical trials, 100 annual peer-reviewed publications, and 250 national peer-reviewed presentations annually. GHS is the third largest provider of continuing medical education in South Carolina, granting 900 total hours of educational programming to more than 10,000 physicians in 2010.
USC’s participation in undergraduate medical education dates back to the 1960s. After an extended planning period, which resulted in preliminary accreditation by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), the USC School of Medicine Columbia matriculated its first class in February 1977. The charter class graduated in May 1981, at which time the school achieved full LCME accreditation.
The national accrediting body for medical schools (the Liaison Committee on Medical Education) granted preliminary accreditation in October 2011, which qualified the school to begin receiving applications through the American Medical College Application Service.