The School’s beginnings have been dated back to December 1825, when a local surgeon, Mr Sands Cox, commenced a course of ‘anatomical demonstrations’ in his father’s house at 24 Temple Row, Birmingham.
Given that his father was one of the surgeons to the Birmingham workhouse, it is likely that the body was that of a deceased pauper inmate of that institution. As a result of these institutional links, the Medical School would remain very well supplied with corpses for anatomy instruction in its earliest years.
In 1828, a school comprising a lecture theatre and museum/dissecting room was constructed at Snow Hill and, in 1841, the Queen’s Hospital opened as a teaching hospital underpinning the medical school. Well funded, the school encountered difficulties due to the restrictive way in which it was managed and its requirement that resident students belong to the Church of England. As a result, in the 1850s, a rival school started in St Paul’s Square with the General hospital as its teaching hospital.
Eventually, with a change in regime, the schools merged in 1868. A subsequent merger with Mason’s Science College considerably augmented the curriculum and, in 1900, the School became a University Medical Faculty. The late Queen Mother and the Duke of Gloucester officially opened the Medical School on the University’s Edgbaston site on 14 July 1938.
They hold over 1.8 million print and 500,000 online books, and more than 85,000 print and online journals. Their staff provide front line and specialist support, information literacy and academic skills teaching, so that students and staff find and use information effectively.
The Medical School at Birmingham dates back to the 1820s and today comprises a vibrant, outstanding environment in which to study Medicine. The School of Dentistry is a place for leading scientists, professionals and students who want to be involved in world-class research, or achieve a degree in the dental and biomaterials professions.
The College consists of a diverse community of academic staff, research staff, health professionals and Professional Services staff working side-by-side and in collaboration with their NHS partners, including Birmingham Health Partners (BHP), an exciting collaborative platform between the University, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust and Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust, to improve the lives of patients locally, nationally and globally.
The principal base of the College is part of the main campus of the University in Edgbaston, adjacent to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, and with a number of other key buildings both on and off campus, including the new Birmingham Dental Hospital and School of Dentistry at Pebble Mill, just a mile from the central campus. Other NHS Trust partners are also on the same campus, including Birmingham Women’s Hospital and the Barberry Hospital.